Sunday, September 30, 2007

So why do I want to golf with a Dog?









I say why not? Mark Twain was once quoted... "Golf is a good walk spoiled". Now I thought if he had his or a Dog with him, would he have been quoted differently. I don't know if he is a Dog lover or not, in any event it got me thinking.

So what is so strange about golfing with your Dog I thought to myself. I like walking, I like Golf and I like my Dog, so why can't I combine all three... its a multi-tasking thing.

The concept was created about a year ago, I called a lot of Golf Courses within Vancouver, most were respectful... it spawned some interesting responses

"You want to do what?"
"Uhhh no not a chance?"
"What if Dogs poo?"
"I like Cats"
"How do you Golf with a Dog?"

In any event last July 19th we held the first Dog Leg Golf event, at Eaglequest Coquitlam. The week prior it was 90 Degrees, and then on the golf day it was a downpour. However the skies cleared and a small but enthusiastic group of golfers and volunteers headed out for the inaugural event. It was surreal, I thought... "Do they (the course) really know I have my Dog out here?" The Dogs finally got into the routine, thanks to the Canine Caddies, courtesy of the great volunteers at the Pacific Assistance Dogs Society, our benefactor partner (http://www.pads.ca/), we got a great round of nine holes of golf in... it was almost too short. It was spectacular, it felt great, and the Dogs loved it. If you love golf and love your Dog, come join us.

Here are more pictures from the July 19th event.

For info on future events check the website dogleggolftour.com

No comments: